Sunday, September 2, 2012

Pumpkin Classic Training with my daughter!


My daughter had expressed interest in doing a race with me earlier this year and the Pumpkin Classic fit the bill! It is a 2 mile flat, fun race in Morton, Illinois that ends with pumpkin pancakes! What more could you ask for?!

This morning was a perfect day to start training with her for it. It was 72 degrees, overcast and a bit damp from the remnants of what hurricane Isaac left. Plus, it was early. The only ones up in my house were my daughter (she is so much like me it is scary! J), our puppy Brinklee and me. It was the ideal day for a training run!

My daughter, Brinklee and I quietly snuck out. We did a one mile walk/run together. Both my two-legged and my four-legged kid had smiles from ear to ear. Our runs would consist of two minute runs and one minute walks. The funny thing is my daughter’s pace made us exhausted. She was belting out 8:30-9:00 minute miles. Oh to be a kid again!

Happy 7th Birthday to the sweetest
daughter in the whole world!!
Brinklee being the 10 year old, curvy Golden Retriever that she is exhausted quickly. We took her back home and decided to head out again. This time we grabbed my daughter’s bike. No, she didn’t know she was cross training. She was just having fun spending some quality one-on-one time with Mom while riding her bike.

We spent the next two miles of her being the leader and me following her. She really got my pace going faster than I ever would have had I been alone. She had me belting out 10 minute miles. We went around the lake, through the parking lot, and in circles on the basketball court. (The basketball court figure 8’s quickly ended as this Mama can’t go in circles any longer w/o possibly retching. What is with that is your later 30’s?!) Wherever she drove, I followed!

Soon there was a playground in site. Of course, we had to swing and stretch! We ended our run this morning with a sprint and fast ride to see who could make it to the door first. Of course, she won! I can’t think of a better way to spend my morning, especially since my daughter turns 7 tomorrow! Since our run this morning she has been unable to keep her eyes off the Rainbow-Blast birthday cake that she has wanted for months. :)

Until next time...Happy Running!

~Danyelle

3 comments: