Can this be true?! Finally, I can say diet soda it is out of my life with confidence.
I have been drinking diet soda since I turned 15 years old and started working my first 'official' job at Aurelio's Pizza. It started with a fountain drink here and there. Then as I made my 'own' money I started buying Diet Pepsi in the glass bottles. I can still hear that bottle top pop, fizz, and roll out it's carbonated coolness. Yes, I just salivated. Addictive?! Obviously!
I have tried to quit drinking diet soda many times. I tried cold turkey, I tried limits, I tried everything! I validated it to myself that it was my little vice....I don't drink, don't smoke....yadi, yadi, yadi....however after reading many of the studies on aspartame it is just as unhealthy for you. I have posted just a snipit of what I have found regarding aspartame:
The unsuspecting community, for the most part, is oblivious of its dangers. Aspartame is made up of three chemicals: aspartic acid, phenylalanine, and methanol. The neural booth hurt that undue aspartate and glutamate use can begin is why they are termed excitotoxins. They excite or stimulate the neural (wits) cells to fall. The danger to infants, children, pregnant women, the elderly, and people with certain constant shape evils from excitotoxins is great.
Methanol breaks down into formic acid and formaldehyde in the body. The formaldehyde exposure from aspartame is significant since it is a deadly neurotoxin that is worn for embalming! Formaldehyde is known to origin gradual harm to the worried and immune systems and has freshly been shown to grounds irreversible genetic wound at long-span, low-stage exposure.
An EPA assessment of methanol states that it "is considered a cumulative poison due to the low ratio of seepage once it is absorbed. In the body, methanol is rusty to formaldehyde and formic acid; both of these metabolites are deadly." The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends a ceiling of consumption of 7.8 mg./day. A one-liter-about one quart of aspartame-syrupy potion contains about 56 mg. Of methanol. Heavy users of aspartame-containing crop consume as much as 250 mg. Of methanol daily, or thirty two times the EPA handling. The latest independent inquiries shows that the condition allied to aspartame may be more deep than just habitual formaldehyde exposure. This sought on animals demonstrates that the formaldehyde appears to accumulate as adducts (clear to protein molecules) in the organs and tissues of the animals when aspartame is ingested at relatively low doses.
41 Toxicity Effects of Aspartame Use
seizures and convulsions
migraines and unadorned headaches
slurring of discourse
numbness or tickly of extremities *(I have a friend that noted this problem and resolved it after she quit drinking diet soda!)
striking personality changes
express concern beat
nausea or vomitting
itchiness / urticaria
other allergic reactions
blood darling control problems (e.g., hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia)
menstrual cramps and other menstraul problems or changes
impotency and sexual problems
food cravings *(Yes, it is true as it stimulates a chemical in your brain that wants more sugar especially when it does not actually receive it!)
pelt harm/plainness or reduction of fuzz
burning urination & other urination problems
extreme thirst or undue need
bloating, edema (fluid custody)
reason menace (pre-esteem studies in animals)
reason, breast, uterine and pancreatic tumors
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/1336188
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/1336188
After reading that do you feel sick to your stomach? The facts are that you are better off drinking regular sugared soda than diet. Best practice is to kick them all to the bucket!
What helped me quit drinking Diet Soda?!
1. You have to want to quit. As with anything you have to want the end result bad enough. If your heart and mind are not into it you will not succeed. I knew I wanted to quit so I put the following steps in place.
2. Educate yourself! Reading the studies helped me realize that I was putting poison in my body. Who knowingly does that to themselves?
3. Stop buying soda! If you do not have it readily available in your household you are much less likely to go for it when you have a craving.
4. Realize that it is going to be hard and you are going to crave it. You may even slip up. It took me a full 6 months to completely say that I have conquered it. Be forgiving to yourself and then get back on the wagon. I promise with time the cravings will subside enough that you have control over them.
5. Realize you will get withdrawal headaches within the first two weeks that you are quitting. Flush your system out constantly with water and healthy fruits and vegis to help remove the toxins.
6. Watching dollars? Add up what you spend on soda a week...Lets say you have 2 sodas per day at a conservative $.75 to $1.00 a pop. That equals nearly $50 at the end of the month. What can $50 equal? A new shirt, pair of jeans, a massage, or even better yet a gym membership!
6. Most importantly have healthy alternatives on hand. Green Tea and my "Natural Soda-Like Alternative" recipe have saved me. I have both daily! Green Tea is amazing for your body. Your body will thank you and when you need that fizz try my recipe below!
No matter what keep your eye on the prize! If you truly want to quit, you can! Trust me if I can do it, so can you! I can finally say in my life that I am eating, exercising, and living for my health and not for a number on a scale. Oftentimes, I might have been thin, but not healthy...Now I am healthy and happy! I feel better and I can see a difference in my family. It just plain feels good!
Little changes each day = Big changes in the end! What's stopping you?!
Danyelle's Natural Fizz
Seltzer Water i.e. plain Carbonated Water
Organic Natural Mint
Organic Fruit of your choice: My fav's are strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and peaches
Mix: Crush and chop the fruit and mint. Add this to one glass filled with ice. Fill the glass half with Seltzer Water and 1/2 with water. Mix lightly with a spoon. This gives you the fizz and flavor you like from soda. If you are having a hard time with it not being as sweet add a teaspoon of sugar. You will be able to ween yourself off the sugar in no time. Also, if you have a blender handy this would be an amazing blender drink!
Concerns about seltzer water? No worries! Read on and put those worries to rest! http://www.livestrong.com/article/504733-is-carbonization-in-seltzer-bad-for-you/
Replacement Option Number Two: Organic Yogi Decaf Green Tea
This is my favorite afternoon treat! It can be served hot or cold and you can add peaches to make a great bellini!
To read more on the benefits of green tea read on :http://www.vitguide.com/green-tea-benefits/
Minimally, you should have green tea once per day! The benefits are endless!
Are you going to join me in removing diet soda from your life?
Have you successfully quit?
Want to chat more?
Email us, Facebook us, Twitter us, Pinterest us or just comment below!
We love hearing from you!