Saturday, January 21, 2012

Eating For The Health Of It!

It has been a tasty week at my house this week! We have been trying all kinds of new foods and recipes. If you are going to change your eating habits you better make it fun, right? Luckily, my husband loves to cook. Me, not so much... He's been very excited about cooking healthy meals that don't skimp on flavor.

So, Week 2 of our weight loss challenge brought some delicious yet calorie friendly meals. Sunday he made a Quinoa Tabouli Salad that was filled with flavor but not calories. It had a very fresh flavor to it thanks to the mint and lemon.

Monday night we had broiled salmon with steamed broccoli and a fresh salad topped with alph-alpha sprouts and home made balsamic vinaigrette dressing.


Now, my kids have never been really picky eaters but I was still surprised when they proceeded to scarf down this meal. You'll notice that they can't smile because their mouths are stuffed so full. Their table manners are quite delightful.

My husband and I try to have a 'date night' once a week. This week our oldest daughter babysat for us so we could go out. When we were faced with the decision of where to go
eat dinner we both were baffled for a minute. Finding a restaurant that really serves healthy food in the Midwest is not easy.

Finally, I decided that miso soup sounded really good. So, we decided to hit up our favorite sushi restaurant. We each ordered a cup of miso soup, a salad and then split a California roll. One of our favorite meals at one of our favorite restaurants plus no guilt. Winner, winner, sushi dinner!

After hearing and seeing Fred's excitement about his 7 day juicing adventure, I have been tossing the idea around in my head. I decided to give it a whirl. I started my juice fast on Wednesday morning. I still had my coffee with half & half first thing because, well, I'm not really safe to be around without it. Then I got a quick lesson from Fred on how to use the handy dandy Jack Lalanne juicer. Which was actually kind of fun. Clean up is pretty easy if you do it right away.

The rest of the day was nothing but fresh juiced vegetables and a little bit of juiced fruit. Here's the part where I'd love to say that I felt great, refreshed, energized, but I can't. I didn't feel bad by any means but I felt hungry... and maybe a little cranky, and just the littlest bit whiney. I found myself several times standing in front of the fridge just staring until I reminded myself that there was nothing in there I could have unless it could make juice. Originally, I thought I'd just do 2 or 3 days of the juice fast. After further consideration, and a bit more whining, I decided 1 day was plenty for me. I'm a wuss, what can I say.

I still plan to juice regularly as part of my diet. I know the benefits are amazing. You still get the nutrients you need but because it's liquid your body can absorb them better. So, you are getting the full benefit of the fresh fruits and vegetables. I might give the juice fast another shot sometime. I feel like I didn't stick with it long enough to really give a chance. If you are interested in finding out more about Jack Lalanne, all of the amazing things he accomplished and juicing, go here. Another great source of information on juicing is the documentary 'Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead'. It follows a man who embarked on a 60 day juicing fast in order to heal himself.

Fred and I went to a friend's 40th birthday party on Friday night. Only Fred and my closest friends know this, (well, and now all of you) but I LOVE cake. Birthday cake, wedding cake, President's Day cake, whatever. If it's cake, I want it. Let's face it, I didn't get my curves from eating tofu for the last 35 years. Well, this birthday party had cupcakes. A whole tower of them. Lots of yummy, pretty, delicious cupcakes. All different flavors. I wanted to whisper sweet nothings to that tower of cupcake goodness until it agreed to go home with me. I held my ground however. All of Team SMR was present and no way was I going to eat one bite of cupcake the night before our weigh-in. Instead, I took two to go. Not going to lie. I plan to devour those cupcakes later today. I'm committed to eating better and being healthier for the long haul. Every once in a while though, you just have to treat yourself and eat the dang cupcake.

Get Into The Groove!

Making myself exercise this week was about as easy as herding cats. I ran with my Sole Sisters on Monday night and then hit the gym a couple of times. That was it. I just could not get into the exercise groove this week. This has been such a cold week here, I think my body is set for natural hibernation. All I want to do is snuggle under some blankets and sleep away the cold. With a chocolate cake. Maybe some chocolate chip cookies too. Instead, I'm heading out for a run before weigh-in today. I think it's going to be about 20 degrees out. I don't want to know the actual temp in case it's colder than that.

Overall I feel really good and thinner. I'm looking forward to the weigh-in. A little nervous about the 'Dreaded Week 2' though... really hoping I don't have a gain. Especially since I have been so diligent about my diet and nutrition this week. That would be disappointing. I'm staying positive though and know it will be just a minor bump in the long road ahead.

I will post the weigh-in results of Week 2 later today! If you have not already made an account on Blogger and clicked 'Follow' on our blog site, please be sure to do so! Not only will your coolness factor be raised by at least 30 points, but you will also get an update every time we post a new blog. Plus, you will be eligible to win cool stuff from our Giveaway! Who doesn't want cool stuff? We love to hear from our readers! Drop us a line. :)

Until next time, peace, love, happiness!

~Bekah






No comments:

Post a Comment