Monday, February 27, 2012

Juice Fast Challenge!

Remember several weeks back when I tried to do a juice fast, whined, complained, and then gave up after 24 hours? Yeah, so does my husband. However, I said then that I would probably give it another chance at some point. Well, that point is now. I started a 7 day juice fast and today is Day 2! I'm already doing better than I did before. I feel great by the way. Woke up this morning feeling very energetic even without my coffee! I know, crazy, right?

I wanted to be sure to have my head in the right place this time as it really is a matter of mind over matter. I know I can do this. People do this all the time. Okay, not all people but some people.

If you think you can,
you are correct.
If you think you can't,
you are also correct.

After watching Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead (click here to see trailer), I knew I would have to give it my all at some point and see for myself what a juice fast could do for me. I want all of those great health benefits! I want to drop some pounds! I definitely want that euphoric feeling they talk about!

My husband, Fred, already did the 7 day fast in January and lost 15.9 pounds in a week. He looked and felt great the whole week aside from a headache on his second day. He is once again hitting the juice and taking the challenge with me this week. He is currently down 32.3 pounds in the last 7 weeks.

Juicing Myths

Two of the big things I hear or am asked are:

1. Juicing will spike your sugar/insulin levels.
2. You just gain the weight right back.

First of all, any sugar even from fresh fruit can cause your insulin levels to spike. Vegetable juice does not. If you want to juice fruit with your vegetables pick fruits that have a lower glycemic index such as apples or berries.

No matter what diet you are using to lose weight, if you go back to eating the way you previously ate, you will gain back any weight lost. Period. There is no magic pill. If you are serious about losing weight and keeping it off then you have to make a lifestyle change that will allow you to do so.

Juicing isn't just about losing weight. It's about gaining health. A juice fast is like a reboot for your body. Even if you don't do a fast, juicing a couple of times each day is a great way to get vitamins and nutrients. When in liquid form, micro-nutrients are more easily absorbed by your body.

*Are you willing to take this challenge with me?

Join me for the last 5 days, join me for 3 days, join me for 1 day, or just hang out and lend me some words of encouragement to get through the next 5 days. You can comment here or on our Facebook page with updates! I will post updates to Facebook daily to let you all know how it's going for me.

Peace, love, happiness!
~Bekah

*Before starting a juicing fast or any diet, you should check with your Dr. to make sure it is right for you. Get healthy and be smart! :)

1 comment:

  1. You are an inspiration! I was wondering if you have ever heard of juice plus? My family and I have been taking it for almost 2 years now. It is a full serving if fruit and veggies in a capsule. It is amazing it at the benefits of it. If you would like more information let me know. Good luck on your juice fast. Maybe I can do it one day soon.

    ReplyDelete