Friday, November 23, 2012

Sexy Mother Runner Featured Friday Runner: Meet Janet!


Every runner has a story... 
At Sexy Mother Runner we believe that sharing those stories is a great way to share the gift of running while helping to motivate others. 





I am so thankful for this lady! Janet and I 
have gotten to know each other better 
this year and it goes without saying that she is an awesome runner, 
but even bigger than that is her amazing heart! 
Love ya, Janet! ~Danyelle

       
 My story started about 4 years ago. I had my daughter in November of 2008. I had gained quite a bit of weight before pregnancy as I had been on many different steroids to aid in having her. After she was born I gained some more weight. In January of 2010, I had already decided that I had to get serious about losing weight and just being healthy, when several people I taught with decided to have a “Biggest Loser” contest. It was just the push I needed. I joined Weight Watchers and picked out an exercise program that worked for me, a busy working Mom of two with a husband working out of town quite frequently. By August of 2010, I had lost over 40 lbs and had met my first goal weight. For some reason though, I just wasn’t satisfied. When we returned to school in August I saw one of my friends I taught with who had been doing the Couch 2 5k program over the summer. I was very curious! Then in September she came back from her first run, the 2 mile Pumpkin Classic run. I couldn’t believe the difference in her, not just her body, but her confidence! I thought, “I WANT THAT!” So, I asked her about it. She sent me the links and I downloaded the Couch 2 5k podcasts onto my MP3 player. I started the program the last week of September 2010. In just a couple of weeks it will be two years since I became a runner.


When I tell you running changed my life that is NO exaggeration. I did lose a little more weight after starting my running journey, but I GAINED so much more! I completed the Couch 2 5k program in November of 2010 and ran my first 5k, the Jingle Bell, in December 2010. Since then I have ran in numerous 5k’s, a 10k, Steamboat Classic 4 mile and 15k, 3 half marathons (already registered for the 4th), had the wonderful opportunity to be a St. Jude runner  and am in the middle of training for the Chicago Marathon in October! I have also had the privilege of meeting some of the most amazing women through running and am proud to call them my friends! I couldn’t get through this journey without them!


I am proud of the medals and accomplishments I have achieved since I became a runner, but how it has impacted my children is what I am truly grateful for. I always tell people that I no longer run just for me, but also for my children. My son is an asthmatic. He has struggled with it his whole life. He completed the Couch 2 5k program this summer and ran his first 5k with me in August. I can not even begin to put into words the pride I felt when I crossed that finish line with him. The look on his face when he realized what he had just accomplished will forever be with me! If I had never began my running journey, I would have never dared to open this door for him! My daughter loves to dance and run back and forth in our basement while I do my treadmill runs, she is constantly telling us about her busy day and the “miles” she has to run that day. She is my biggest fan, beaming with pride every time she asks, “Is it your big race day Mom?”

Running has allowed me to push myself in all areas of my life. It has taught me that I AM stronger than I ever thought I was. I not only push myself when running, but I do it even in life now. This past Spring I made a decision that before running I would have never had the courage to do. I decided to put my 14 years of teaching on hold to stay at home to be a full time wife and mom. I love every minute of being at home with my daughter, being able to be at all of my son’s baseball games, appointments, etc… I am training hard for my first marathon. I focus on keeping an organized and clean house and providing healthy and tasty meals for my family. 

I am forever grateful to my friend for inspiring me to start this running journey! My life will never be the same and for that I am truly thankful!


Janet, rocked the Chicago Marathon on 
October 7, 2012 and finished in 04:55!
We are so happy for you, Janet! 
You are an inspiration!




Would you like to be a SMR Featured Friday Runner? 
If so, send us your story to sexymotherrunner@yahoo.com 
and inspire someone today!




No comments:

Post a Comment