Thursday, April 4, 2013

Running A Family

When Danyelle and I started Sexy Mother Runner we wanted a good part of the content to be about, well, about mothers. Mainly mothers who run but really we have evolved into a blog for anyone who runs. As parents ourselves, we both have some pretty strong feelings about raising kids. We love our kiddos and always want the best for them. We also hope to set a good example for them by making healthy choices for ourselves. If you are a parent, I don't have to tell you how hard it is at times. It's by far the hardest job I've ever done ... I used to tame lions. Okay, not really, but still, parenting is really hard. It is up to us, the parents, to set the course and sail it along with our children. So, when Danyelle told me about 'Color Blaze', a family friendly 5k race where participants get showered with color, I knew my family had to do it.

My hubby, Fred, and I are spending Spring Break in his hometown in Michigan. We went for a run today and upon returning thought it was time to start training our kiddos for the 5k Color Blaze. So, we got their running shoes on them and went outside. We wanted to start them out slowly of course. My son has a tendency to run all out and then collapse after about 20 feet. So, we told them that we were the 'line leaders' and they could not run faster than us.

Off we went down the residential street in front of my mother-in-law's home. This is a very low traffic area so it was quite perfect for a family run. We went to the corner and back which according to my Garmin is .32 miles. They did great but my son said he was tired and his legs hurt. My daughter asked if we could go again. Fred took her for another run while I hung back with my son. Upon their return, my daughter was so excited she was beaming a huge smile. She said, "If I run that one more time it'll be one mile! Can we go again?"

Of course we went again. All of us this time and my daughter ran her first full mile. I cannot even tell you how proud I was of her. I didn't want to push either of them for fear that they would wear out too quickly and/or not enjoy themselves. She loved it though and kept saying how she couldn't believe that she ran a whole mile. It was awesome.

Sidewalk chalk candy land in the driveway after our run. :)
After the run, we played with sidewalk chalk and enjoyed the sunshine. My daughter asked if we could go for a run again tomorrow. Happiness. :)

Peace, Love, Happiness!

~Bekah



No comments:

Post a Comment