Wednesday, August 29, 2012

New Kicks & Foam Rolling

A couple of weeks ago I started getting a pain in my left foot. I've had this pain on and off for the last year. It seems to start up when I up my mileage. Which I have started to do since I'm once again in training for a half marathon. After extensive research (aka Google) and self diagnosis, (don't try this at home) I have decided it's overuse and also time for new shoes. If you have had any experience with this type of pain and have any helpful tips, I'd love to hear them.

The pain is in the ball of my foot and first three toes.  It recently got worse after my spartan class last Tuesday. I blame the hills. The next day there were shooting pains in my toes while I was driving. When I got home I just thought I'd check the tread on the bottom of my shoes and sure enough, it looks pretty brand new everywhere except right where the ball of my foot is and on the toes of my left foot only. So... and pay attention because this is RIVETING stuff, people ... the right shoe was worn also on the ball of my foot but not where my toes are. Thus, my right foot and toes are quite lazy in comparison to my left. 

I called my local running store, Running Central, to see if they had any Glycerin 9's in stock and unfortunately they did not. However, Brooks online, of course, had them and the added bonus was that they were marked down from $140 to $85 because the Glycerin 10's are now out as well. I'm all about last year's line for $55 less! Brooks also happened to have FREE SHIPPING on orders of $75 or more. Double bonus! 

Brooks Glycerin 9


This made Fred especially happy since I just purchased my Brooks Ghost 4 from Running Central in April and paid full price. He's not thrilled about spending $100+ on new shoes less than six months later... 

I really liked the Ghost 4 shoes. They fit great and felt good but I really love the Glycerins. My only complaint is that I wish they had more color choices like they do in the Pure line. I love all of those bright colors. However, we and several of our followers posted on their FB page about it and they let us know that we have been heard. What a great company! 

Along with my foot I've been having pain in my right knee... now I know what my mother always means when she says, "It's hell to get old." I totally get it. I'm not even old really, but I get it. I decided to take my own advice and hit the foam roller. We spent some time together today and my knee almost instantly started feeling better. 

This is how I roll.


If you haven't tried foam rolling yet, I highly recommend it. It is great for your muscles after a run or workout. The video below is very informative. He does a great job of instructing you how to use a foam roller. His accent is quite lovely as well. 



Now that I have my new running shoes, I'm on the search for some trail shoes. 
Any tips??? 

Peace, Love, Happiness!

~Bekah

1 comment: