Saturday, June 2, 2012

Drink For Your Health!


I am so excited! I am getting ready to embark on another crazy juicing fast! Yep, I'm doing it again. This will be my second juice fast. I'm inviting all of you to come along. I will be posting juice recipes and updates during my fast. If you are so inclined to do the juice fast with me, well, misery loves company,  I'd love for you to share your experience with me!  ;)


What do you need in order to take part in a juice fast?


  • Well, you need a juicer. Not to be confused with a blender. A juicer extracts the juice from vegetables and fruit while separating the pulp. All you have left is just juice. I have a Jack Lalanne Power Juicer. 
  • You need lots of fresh vegetables and fruit. There are juicing recipes on our site under the 'Healthy Recipes' tab. Also, you can Google juicing recipes for tons more. I also recommend you go to the website http://www.jointhereboot.com. This website has tons of great recipes and information!! 
  • Watch the movie, http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com. It is an amazing documentary about a pretty cool guy named Joe Cross who decided to get himself healthy by doing a 60 DAY juice fast. His transformation is nothing short of incredible.  Oh, and ladies, he's Australian so his accent alone makes it worth watching. ;)

What can I eat during my juice fast?

  • NOTHING. That's why it's a JUICE FAST. My diet will consist of water, fresh juice, and coffee or tea. I do cheat and add 1/2 & 1/2 to my morning coffee because, well, that's how I like it and sometimes you just shouldn't poke the sleeping bear. 

Why do a juice fast?

  • My personal reason is because it's good for me. Think of it as a reboot for your body. You are taking a break from whatever unhealthy foods you may be eating and giving your body nothing but excellent vitamins and nutrients. Hippocrates said, "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." Even if you don't ever do a juice fast, incorporating fresh juice from veggies and fruits into your regular diet is incredibly beneficial. 
  • During my last juice fast, which was 6 days long, I lost 6.6 pounds. It was the last week of a weight loss challenge I was participating in and the week before my half marathon training would start. I wanted the extra boost it would give me to drop more pounds before my training began. I knew that more weight lost would mean better running. So, yeah, weight loss is also a good motivator for me to do another one. I will also add that due to drastically changing my eating habits, I did not gain any of my weight back after the fast ended. 
  • I felt AMAZING. I had so much energy after day 2. I woke up ready to start my day feeling clear headed and energetic, before coffee. This is not my normal approach to the morning! Throughout the day I felt really good, had more patience than usual, and was just all around happy and calm. One of my sisters actually asked me if I was taking quaaludes! 

Should you do a juice fast?

  • That's something you need to discuss with your Doctor. Especially if you have any ongoing health issues or concerns. I am not a Doctor. Do your own research on it, be smart and safe.

When does this awesome journey begin?

  • Sunday, June 3, 2012 at roughly 5 pm until roughly 5 pm on Friday, June 8th. I will be juicing for 5 days this time. I wanted to make it 7 or 10 but I have a 4 mile trail race on Saturday morning. I will not do anything more than some walking or light running during my juice fasts. So, I have to cut this one short to make sure I am ready for my race. After my last juice fast, I ran 6 miles the day after it ended and felt pretty good. Therefore, I'm feeling positive about a 4 mile trail run the day after this fast ends. I don't plan on really pushing myself or overdoing it on this race. It's just for fun in preparation for being chased through trails by zombies later this month when I head to Indiana for Run For Your Lives! I'm sure there's a 'Naked Zombie vs. Homeless Man' joke somewhere in here but I'm not going there because that would not be tasteful. No pun intended... oh wait...
I went to the store today and stocked up on lots of yummy organic veggies and fruits. Some of the items I will include in my juice are:
  • Carrots
  • Celery
  • Romaine Lettuce
  • Spinach
  • Yellow Squash
  • Zucchini
  • Cucumber
  • Parsley
  • Water Cress
  • Beets
  • Pears
  • Apples (Gala)
  • Mango
  • Lemon
  • Oranges
  • Assorted Berries
Don't think tomato juice, unless of course you like tomato juice. When you throw in some apples and carrots the other veggies get caught up in the sweet, yummy freshness of it all. Play around with the different veggies and fruit to find out what tastes good to you. It should be mostly veggies though.




For more info from my previous juice fast you can check out my post here: http://sexymotherrunner.blogspot.com/2012/02/juice-fast-challenge.html

And you can watch a video of me actually showing you how to juice your veggies and fruit here: (Disclaimer: This was my first time doing a juicing video and only the second time doing a video blog. It's rough. Don't judge me.)  

Have you done a juice fast before? 
How was your experience?

Peace, Love, Happiness!
~Bekah

No comments:

Post a Comment