Friday, June 1, 2012

Sexy Mother Runner Featured Runner Friday: Meet '30 Something Mother Runner'!


Every runner has a story. At 
Sexy Mother Runner
we believe 
that sharing those stories is a 
great way to share the gift of running while helping to motivate others.

Meet Jessica! She is '30 Something Mother Runner'! Running is her outlet. She is a humble lady, as she doesn't even mention in her running story that she often places in overall races and first in her age group. Nor does she mention that she is a FitFluential Ambassador. I just love that about her! Read her 
inspiring story below!


I have been a runner for most of my life. As a young runner, my running was motivated by athletic achievement and physical appearance. I ran to stay in shape for field hockey or to fit into my favorite pair of jeans. As I have aged and become a mother, running has become much more of a mental release for me. Running is my daily appointment with myself. Sometimes I zone out and think of nothing but listening to the sound of my footsteps or the sound of my breath. Other times, I just want to escape the chaos that is sometimes my life with a 2 year old and a 4 year old! Whether it's my four year old's latest meltdown or a petty argument with my husband, things always seem better after a run.

As a mother, I think there are times when you just need to run (literally and figuratively) out the door as fast as you can. When your patience is shot and you are not sure if you can handle another moment of whining or toddler rebellion, going for a run seems like a lifeline to sanity. For me, it certainly is. Even though I do sometimes feel “mommy guilt” for spending time focusing on my training and races, I remind myself that if I can’t take care of myself, I can’t take care of anyone else. Running definitely makes me a better mother and a better wife.

When running, my mind is somehow able to work through challenges and think of new ways of dealing with problematic situations. There have been times I have laughed out loud on a run, cried, and just gritted my teeth to stop myself from yelling out loud out of anger and frustration. But at the end of my run, I am somehow calm, cool, and collected. That feeling is the gift that running gives to me every day, and I wouldn't trade it for the world!

Lately, I have begun to focus more seriously on my training and racing. I completed 8 races in 2011, more than I ever have in my life. Now that my children are no longer babies, I feel like I am finally getting to concentrate on something I am passionate about again. I am starting to put together my racing calendar for 2012 and setting new goals. Bit by bit, I am slowly getting myself back and enjoying every minute of it! 


If you would like to follow this awesome

'30 Something Mother Runner' 
her website is


Thanks for sharing your story with us, Jessica!




Want to be a Sexy Mother Runner Featured Friday Runner?
Email us at sexymotherrunner@yahoo.com 
and inspire someone today!


Remember you can always follow us on 
Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter, too!

1 comment:

  1. Jessica, good luck with your 2012 calendar. Setting goals keeps me motivated.

    ReplyDelete