Friday, June 22, 2012

Featured Runner Friday: Meet Emilie!


Every runner has a story. At Sexy Mother Runner we believe sharing those stories is a great way to share the gift of running while helping to motivate others.  This week's Featured Runner started with a desire to do something she had always wanted to do. She accomplished her goal and so much more proving that it doesn't take years to become a runner, just a willingness to do so. 

Meet Emilie

Emilie and her son after her first 10k.
My running journey began a little over a year ago when I heard a commercial on the radio for a running class at my local YMCA. It was along the lines of "Have you ever seen people out running and wished you could? Well, if you answered yes, then this class is for you!" It went on to explain that this was a 9 week course for the non-runner (that was me) that would gently ease you into running and at the end of the class, you would be able to run a 5K. It sounded like this class was made for me! I have never been athletic my entire life and certainly could never run. Any attempts soon failed after about a block of running and not being able to breathe!

I signed up for the class which turned out to be a life changing experience for me. It was a challenge and there were times that were very, very difficult but I really wanted to do this. I remember being so excited to come home and tell my family that I just ran 5 minutes straight! That was a very big deal!

Fast forward to present. I stuck with it and I LOVE IT! I now run an average of 5 days a week and have faithfully since that class ended last May. Upon conclusion of that class I ran my first 5K and it felt amazing! The sense of accomplishment was overwhelming! I had just achieved something at age 38 that I had never done before in my life. I did several 5K races last summer and it just made me want to keep going, get stronger, go farther, and accomplish new goals!

I was fortunate enough to be able to be a part of this year's YMCA couch to 5K class...only this time, it was as a volunteer and to help others who were in the same place I had been 1 year ago. I wanted to help others discover the joy of running like I had.

I am not much of a speedy runner, even after all this time, but for me it's really about being a part of the race, the awesome race atmosphere, crossing the finish line, and just being able to say "I DID IT!" Not to mention, I feel great and those runs provide a lot of therapy for me! I've also met some really wonderful people along the way. I completed my first 10K race two weeks ago. It felt great, had a great time and got to enjoy it with my son who volunteered to run it with me!
Next stop for me… half marathon. I think I'm up to the challenge! Who would have ever thought that I would someday run a half marathon? Certainly not me! If someone would have told me a couple of years ago I would be doing this, I NEVER would have believed them. I never thought I'd say words like, "I ONLY ran 4 miles today"!

This quote was shared by the teacher of my couch to 5K class and I wanted to pass it along:
~ "Training for a race is sort of like a metaphor for life — it shows you how important goals are, it shows you how much you are capable of, it shows you the power of dedication. I've never run 13.1 miles, but I know I can do it. I will do it. " Ashley Cadaret, Running: A Love Story, Other Voices blog, Runner's World.com

June 2, 2012 I participated in the 5K race again that was my very first one, one year ago. I was so curious to see how I would do 1 year later. I was fortunate enough to feel great that day and had a really good race. I've never, ever have considered myself fast at all but I guess I kinda was on that day! I ended up with the first place ribbon in my age division! And, it felt pretty amazing that I was at the top end of that 30 to 39 age group! I remember looking around thinking, did they just say MY name? It felt so amazing. I am so proud to call myself a runner. I have to admit that I felt a little emotional after winning that little ribbon, thinking back on the last year and how far I'd come.

I also want to say how proud I am of my Couch to 5K class. A lot of them were able to attend the race and they did a great job! I thoroughly enjoyed working with this class. When one of class members came up to me after the race and threw her arms around me, thanking me for my words of encouragement and support throughout the 9 weeks, I was so touched. It really meant a lot to me to have the opportunity to help out. It is after all, where I started on my journey to becoming a runner.

Emilie, (3rd from left in front row) with some of her running group.


I am very excited to be a featured Friday runner! I've come a long way in the last year and I hope I can continue running for many more years to come. It feels great to be a runner and I feel blessed to be part of the running community that I only used to admire from afar!

Here is another great quote that I just love:

If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.
-John Bingham

We are looking for more people who would like to be a Featured Runner!!! 
If you would like to share your story please email us at sexymotherrunner@yahoo.com and tell us!

1 comment:

  1. Emilie- I love your story so much! I am sure your class feels blessed to have you help with teaching the class! I would love to hear/see the logistical breakdown of teaching a couch to 5k class! Your story makes me want to help others getg started and I am not even a fitness teacher! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete