Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Who Put That Wall There???

I've hit a wall. It's invisible so I can't see or describe it but it's there none the less. Sneaky wall. It's the wall of weight loss, or lack there of.

Since finishing up the Select 55 Weight Loss Challenge in March I have only lost one pound. My total weight loss since January is 24 pounds and holding. I am glad that I have maintained because that has not been easy for me in the past due to my insulin resistance and undying love for cake. Probably more the cake part... However, I would like to move forward and not just maintain.

I have had several people tell me that they gained weight during half marathon/marathon training. So, again, I am glad I have maintained. I would just be more glad if I was still losing. The only reason I can give, and trust me I've tried to come up with something else, is that I'm not doing what I need to be doing.

My husband and I drastically changed our diets since the beginning of the year. So now instead of say a Five Guys burger with cheese, sauteed onion, sauteed mushrooms, lettuce and mayo... we eat grilled portobello mushrooms on a whole wheat bun with tomato, baby spinach leaves and homemade organic guacamole. I'm still eating the right food, (most of the time) I'm just eating too much of it and I'm not tracking it anymore. Not cool.

I refuse to get too down on myself though because that's just not fun. Plus, I know it's okay to slip up. Sometimes it feels like there may even be people just watching and waiting for you to slip up so they can say, "See, I knew it wouldn't last." Ever feel that way? I do. Whether that is really the case or not though, you just can't let it be your issue.



Starting today, and no I don't want to but know I need to, I will start tracking my food again. I used www.MyFitnessPal.com before and really like it. It's very easy to use. Several foods are already in the system so you just start typing and they pop up. It also allows you to enter your daily calorie goal and any exercise you did.  Then it recalculates your calories so that you are getting enough in regards to how much exercise you are doing.



Now, my other issue. First half marathon coming up. I'm training and it's going great. This weekend is a long run and I'm debating what distance to run. Should I just run 12 miles like the training plans say? Or should I run 13 miles and not have to worry about hitting a mental wall the day of the race, wondering if I can actually run 13.1 miles not having done it before?

Suggestions and advice, please?

Peace, love, happiness!

~Bekah


7 comments:

  1. I say don't run the full 13 prior to the race. Let the 13.1 be a PR. I think half of the excitement is wondering if you can make it that far, then actually making it that far. Best wishes on your run!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got my first Half on the 20th of this month Bekah.. THAT'S TEN DAYS!!.. :-) and I keep wondering the same thing.. Can I do this not ever having done it before?.. I'm playing that mental game with myself that unless I've done it before I won't be able to finish it.. Esp not in the allotted time frame... I have had so many people tell me.. "Trac, you've trained. You've followed the plan. The adrenaline from the race will carry you through to the end"

    I actually wanted to run 14 before the race so that the race would seem easier.. LOL Yeah, I'm nuts like that.. Lets take PL's advice and make the Half our PR. We've both been given lots of great advice from people who have been there done that many times.. Lets listen to them!

    Good luck to you kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your adrenaline the day of the race easily carries you the remaining distance. There is no need to run 13.1. And make sure you taper down a week or two before the race. I only ran 12 as my max distance prior to my first half and sailed through it. Dont push too hard or you will burn out before you get to the race!! Good luck girlie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Bekah,

    I enjoyed your post... Feeling much the same. I did my first half last September and 10 was my longest run before. Granted, I don't remember the last three miles, but I finished! I think you should do 12 and call it good!

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hit the wall in January, after losing 67 pounds. I still have 5 to go, in spite of going to a plant-based diet, no processed foods of any kind, no meat except fish and eggs. I decided it's better to be healthy and not sweat the 5. If I'm active (and I'm now VERY active), I am good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bekah, I only ever ran 12 and Carrie I think had only ever ran 10 and we were both happy with the finish of our first half. You got this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, everyone!!! I think the thought of it only being 14 days away has me a little rattled. I am going to do 12 this weekend and wait until race day to hit the big 13.1! I appreciate all of the advice and support!

    Peace, love, happiness!
    ~Bekah

    ReplyDelete