Saturday, February 4, 2012

Week 4 Weigh-In and Measuring Up


Today was Week 4 weigh-in of the Select 55 Weight Loss Challenge. As I wrote earlier in the week in my post 'Supermom! Yeah, right...', I was nervous going into week 4. Week 1 through week 3 were great successes for me and I was anticipating the dreaded plateau that often comes sooner or later. Well, my plateau has struck. Today's weigh-in left much to be desired and yet, it could have been worse. I only lost .1 lbs. That's like, maybe I breathed out instead of in while stepping on the scale. I mean, really??? Ugh.

Then Fred weighed in. One of us sits in the car with kiddos while the other weighs so that we don't have to take our kiddos in, clever right? More like, lesson learned... Anyway, he came back out to the car and when I asked him how much he lost he grinned and said, "I totally kicked your ass. I lost point two." At that we both laughed and I started feeling better.

Yes, it's still a loss, yes, the scale is still moving in the right direction, albeit slowly. Still, yes, I'm disappointed. As I look back over this last week I know exactly where I went wrong. I skipped working out two separate days, bad Bekah. Aunt Flo swung in for a visit and that bitch does nothing but eat all my chocolate and yell at my husband. I also didn't journal what I ate this week thus not keeping track of calories. I got complacent.

How do you measure up?

After my weigh-in, I called Danyelle. Because she is an incredibly awesome friend, she reminded me that it's just a bump in the long road we are on to better health. She also reminded me to check my measurements again. I haven't checked them since I started the challenge 4 weeks ago. So I decided to do just that. Seeing my measurements definitely made me feel better. It reminded me that I really am making progress and I'm down a total of 13.6 lbs in 4 weeks.

I lost:
2 inches from my waist.
1 inch from my hips.
1 inch from my arms.
I did not measure my chest originally so I have no
idea there. Frankly, I don't want to lose that!

Danyelle lost 1.3 lbs this week! She also took her measurements again and lost:
1 inch from her waist.
2 inches from her hips.
1 inch from her chest.

Brandon lost 3.8 lbs this week! Even while being sick and on strict Dr.'s orders not to exercise!

Kristen tied with Danyelle and lost 1.3 lbs this week!!

Great job Team SMR! Total loss of 86 lbs in 4 weeks!!!

My advice is, take your measurements!!! Even if you have a less than stellar week on the scale, you may still see good results through your measurements.



It's easy to get down on yourself when the scale doesn't tell you what you want it too. Especially as women, we often put way too much importance on that number. The only person you need to measure up to is yourself. Not the scale, not anyone else, just YOU.

Doing this with a team has been a wonderful benefit. It does help to keep me accountable but when I slip up, like I did this week, I know that they will give me the positive reinforcement I need to stay on track. The support I get from them is the second best part of doing this challenge. First is getting healthy, of course. So my next advice, find a friend or a whole team of friends to go the journey with you. It's great to have a positive support system!

Our next post will be from out nutritionist, Megan. Be sure to check back to see what she has to say about metabolism and weight loss!

Peace, love, happiness!

~Bekah


No comments:

Post a Comment