Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Dear Spring, are you there? It's me, Bekah...

It's the first day of Spring. Don't get too excited, it's also only 16 degrees outside as I'm writing this. I think Mother Nature may be going through 'the change.' How else can anyone explain the craziness that is Illinois weather. Sunny and 60, rainy and windy, 20 degrees and snow all in a 24 hour time period. Okay maybe I'm exaggerating a little, but not much.

I'm so ready to go running in warmer weather. In fact, tonight is the first meeting night for Building Steam group leaders. What is Building Steam, you ask? Well, it is a running program that prepares participants for the Steamboat Classic 4 mile race in June. Danyelle and I are both going to be group leaders again this year. This will be my 3rd year being involved with Building Steam and my 2nd year as a group leader. I'm so excited about this, it is such a great program.

Tonight I am meeting up with two of the wonderful ladies who are also leading the group with me, my friends, Steph and Laura. The three of us were leaders together last year and enjoyed it so much we decided to hang out together again this year. We are planning to go for a run tonight after our meeting and I have to be honest, I'm not nearly as excited about that now as I was when we first made plans. I wasn't picturing having to layer up for this run. I was picturing us running in light weight running clothes, not ear muffs and gloves.

My friends know me as the crazy one who loves winter and snow. And I do. But, COME ON!!! Sixteen degrees on the first day of Spring is just stupid. I'm so over it.


The funny thing is that usually the Steamboat Classic ends up being on an incredibly hot and humid day. Luckily, it's a very flat course. Unless you do the 15k instead of the 4 mile, then you will have hills. The race is a really fun time though even with the heat. People come from all over to run this event. Even from Kenya. Peoria firemen always run in full gear which is pretty amazing. There are often brides-to-be running with their bridesmaids, families in matching t-shirts, I think last year their were even a couple men wearing kilts. You really never know what or who you will see.

If you are new to running, Building Steam is for you. If you have been running for years and want a fun experience with some great people, Building Steam is for you. If you are looking to make new friends who share a love of running, Building Steam is for you. If you are looking for something fun and healthy to do as a family, Building Steam is for you!

There will be 4 locations participating this year: Peoria, Morton, Chillicothe, Washington

Also, there are also four other programs besides Building Steam:

Rising Steam: for walkers or beginning runners who are in 6th-12th grade.

Scouting Steam: geared toward Boy Scouts who are working on earning a Personal Fitness Badge.

Access Steam: designed to meet the needs of individuals of all ages who have been diagnosed with cognitive, developmental, or physical disabilities.

Team Steam: geared toward runners who want to become better runners.

Be sure to check out the Steamboat Classic website for more information, dates, times, etc.

Do something good for you and come join us this year!!!


Peace, Love, Happiness!
~Bekah

No comments:

Post a Comment