Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Vampires Be Warned!

Want to avoid getting sick this holiday season? Eat garlic!

In my personal experience, garlic has kept me from getting so much as a cold for the last year. If I feel any symptoms coming on I immediately chop up a raw garlic clove and swallow it with something tasty. Preferably juice.

I don't have time to be sick. I don't like to take meds. Since my husband, Fred, read all this wonderful stuff about garlic, I don't have to do either of those things. The garlic has worked every time for me.

So, here's what you do... Step One: you cut a hole in the box... no wait, wrong instructions...


Step One: Buy some fresh garlic.

Step Two: Chop one clove up into pieces that you can easily swallow.

Step Three: Swallow garlic with juice or a tasty beverage of your choice.

Step Four: Do this three times a day until symptoms are gone.

I know you are all wondering if people avoid talking to me after I do this. I wondered that too. Fred did it first and no garlic breath. (He's a great guinea pig.) I'm thinking that if you chew the garlic, you will have some serious issues with your breath but swallowing it you are good to go.

Also, we don't take any cold/sinus/flu meds. Just the garlic. I will also add that we eat A LOT of fresh fruits and vegetables and juice often so our immune systems are (hopefully) at like super hero strength anyway.

I like to think of it as having little Avengers waging a battle against all the germs my body comes into contact with. Not really, I just made that up but it sounded good. My geek is showing...


Here's some more info from www.garlic-central.com. 


Benefits

Various garlic health benefits have long been claimed and the "stinking rose" treatment has been used extensively in herbal medicine (phytotherapy) down the centuries. It's been considered by many to be a herbal "wonder drug", with a reputation in folklore for preventing or treating everything from the common cold and flu to the Plague!
Much of that is at best unproven, however there are some very positive garlic health facts that are now widely accepted. Amongst the most interesting potential applications are suggestions that garlic might be able to assist some people in the management of blood pressure cholesterol levels.
Modern science has shown that garlic is a powerful natural antibiotic, albeit broad-spectrum rather than targeted. The bacteria in the body do not appear to evolve resistance to the garlic as they do to many modern pharmaceutical antibiotics. This means that its positive health benefits can continue over time rather than helping to breed antibiotic resistant "superbugs".
Studies have also shown that garlic - especially aged garlic - can have a powerful antioxidant effect. Antioxidants can help to protect the body against damaging free radicals. There are claims that fermented black garlic contains even higher antioxidant levels than normal cloves.

As always, we are not doctors nor do we play one on tv. Our opinions are our own from our own experiences. 

Peace, Love, Happiness!
~Bekah



No comments:

Post a Comment