Thursday, December 20, 2012

Christmas Challenge

The snow is finally here! There is a blizzard going on outside as I type. I'm really excited about this as I seriously LOVE snow.

I love how the white covers up all the dead brown. I love how it makes everything look beautiful. I love how it crunches under foot. I love the way it looks as it is falling from the sky. I even love playing outside in it. Driving is a different story...

I'm really really hoping that school is not cancelled tomorrow though. It's the last day of school for my two littles before they start Christmas break and it's also their class Christmas parties. Did I mention that I now have 20 some odd reindeer cupcakes in my kitchen which will still be there tomorrow if school gets cancelled?!?!? Yeah, not cool...



I'm already putting together a Plan B in my head. If school is cancelled and I get stuck with all of these cupcakes plus the little treat bags that I made, I will be making a trip to one of the local food shelters. In fact, I'm going to be doing that anyway with some of the excess goodies that always seem to be hanging around my kitchen this time of year. I certainly don't need them but I know there are people who will gladly take them.

This has been weighing heavily on my heart this week. I teach my children why we celebrate Christmas, about Jesus, about showing love and compassion for others. I figure they are at a great age where it's time to also show them what Christmas is all about.

There are some ways that we already have. I explained to them why the Salvation Army bell ringers are outside the grocery store and gave them each money to drop in the bucket. We filled a shoe box with goodies for Project Christmas Child. We donated a new toy to Toys For Tots. This year it just doesn't seem like any of it is enough.

My sweet girl and I at our church Christmas dinner.
The tragic events of last week have broken my heart and brought me to tears several times a day. I don't even watch the news and yet I can't stop thinking about those precious children whose lives were lost. My youngest daughter is six. Like so many parents, I can't help but think what it would be like to go through what the parents of Newtown, CT are going through. I can't help but think about how we can make the world better, safer for our children. I keep coming back to the quote: "Be the change you want to see in the world."

That's what I'm going to aim for. Our world needs more love. More compassion. More kindness. I hope to provide that by setting the example for my children. We will be spreading as much compassion as we can this holiday season. Whether it's smiling at the retail clerk who is dealing with grouchy shoppers all day long, paying for the person in line behind you at Starbuck's, picking up some extra groceries to donate, helping out at a soup kitchen or shelter, cleaning the snow from a neighbor's driveway, whatever way you can show some compassion for others, please do so. This is my challenge to everyone this Christmas season. "Be the change you want to see in the world."

Also, go for a run. :)

Peace, love, happiness!

~Bekah


1 comment:

  1. It really is all about our attitudes...taking the challenge ;)

    ReplyDelete