Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Back In The Saddle Again

OUCH!
Confession time. I gained 10 pounds between July 5th and September 4th. My oldest daughter left to move to California on July 5th. I had just finished a 16 day juice fast the month before and was feeling healthy, energetic, and just plain incredible. As soon as she was on her way I went to lunch and ate mashed potatoes. I spent the next two months comfort eating which for me means a lot of french fries, mashed potatoes, trips to DQ for a hot fudge sundae or blizzard, and delicious mocha espresso drinks. I was running regularly but we all know you can't outrun a bad diet. I made a few attempts to make better food choices but it didn't last long. Finally, when I ate my way into a muffin top, I realized enough was enough.


I started a new workout and nutrition program on September 4th. It's close to home and very convenient for me. I'm getting a great full body workout twice a week at the gym during a group circuit class. It's similar exercises to what I did in the Spartan training class but we also use machines. So far I like it, it's a great workout. I miss aspects of the Spartan class though. I especially miss the people and trainers but it is a much longer drive and just not as convenient for me.

I'm also journaling my meals. This is really important for me. It's easier to say no when you have this kind of accountability. Unless, the pumpkin festival is in town... Last week was pumpkin fest which is like the World's Fair here. Pumpkin everything you can imagine. My favorite though is the pumpkin ice cream! Yes, I ate some. Yes, I wrote it in my journal. Instead of eating it every day of the fest, I just ate it the one time. That is some serious progress right there.

Why am I telling you all of this? Because I want all of you to know that I'm not perfect. Not in anything I do. I have seriously cleaned up my eating for myself and my family in the last year and a half but I still  have difficult moments. I've cut out all of the junk food, soda, meat, and most dairy in the last year and half. It doesn't make it into my house. But, I still have times when I go for the fries instead of the steamed broccoli while dining out. I'm sure there will be more times to come when I really miss my daughter and try to cope with some sort of ice-cream-oreo-cookie-goodness. If that happens I will keep in mind that a great workout can make so many things better.

Not being able to run right now is really difficult for me emotionally. I had to miss the Pumpkin Classic 10k last Saturday. I just have to say, that sucked big monkey balls.

The workouts help with not being able to run though. So, I'm back in the saddle now. I'm feeling better physically and mentally. I've already dropped some of the weight I gained. The rest will come off as well because I know what I need to do and I'm going to do it. Mainly, I want to continue to feel good every day. I like having all of my energy back.

For everyone out there who has thrown in the towel and thought about just giving up on eating clean and working out, DON'T. Sometimes we all go through things in life that make it harder and we slip. I slipped my way into ten extra pounds. Does that mean you are lazy or lack will power? I don't think so. I think life happens sometimes and as humans we sometimes deal with it in the worst ways health-wise.  Get up, dust yourself off, and get back to it. That's what I'm doing. We are all worth it.

Peace, Love, Happiness!

~Bekah

No comments:

Post a Comment